When it comes to keeping your home comfortable and safe, your furnace plays a key role. But like any other appliance, furnaces can develop problems over time.
While many homeowners know to watch for obvious signs of a malfunctioning furnace, such as strange noises, frequent cycling or no heat, there are also some lesser-known silent signs that can indicate that your furnace needs repair.
Understanding these signs can help you to detect potential issues before they cause more serious problems.
Here are the top 15 silent signs your furnace needs repair:
- Increasing Energy Bills: If you notice that your energy bills are rising despite no change in your energy usage, this could be a sign that your furnace is not working as efficiently as it should.
- Frequent Cycling: If your furnace is cycling on and off more frequently than usual, it could indicate a problem with the blower, fan motor, or thermostat.
- Old Age: Furnaces typically last between 15 and 20 years. If your furnace is older than this, it may be time for a replacement.
- Yellow Pilot Light: The pilot light should be blue, not yellow. A yellow pilot light can indicate that the gas pressure is too high or that the furnace is not burning fuel properly, both of which can be dangerous.
- Unusual Odors: If you smell anything unusual coming from your furnace, such as a musty or burning smell, this could be a sign of a potential problem such as a clogged filter or an electrical issue.
- Dusty Air: If your furnace is not working efficiently, it may not be filtering out dust and allergens from the air.
- Drafty Rooms: If certain rooms in your home are noticeably draftier than others, it could indicate that your furnace is not circulating air properly.
- Damaged Ducts: If you notice any tears or holes in your ducts, this could be allowing hot air to escape, making your furnace work harder than it should.
- Blocked Vents: If your vents are blocked by furniture or other objects, this can reduce the amount of air circulating in your home and cause your furnace to work harder than necessary.
- Water Pooling Near the Furnace: This can indicate a leak in the system, which needs to be repaired as soon as possible.
- Unresponsive Thermostat: If your thermostat is unresponsive or not working properly, it can cause your furnace to run inefficiently.
- Pilot Light Issues: If the pilot light on your furnace is going out frequently, it could be a sign of a faulty thermocouple or a drafty flue.
- Humidity Issues: If you’re noticing an increase in humidity in your home or business, it could be a sign that your furnace isn’t removing moisture from the air properly.
- Lack of Maintenance: If you haven’t had your furnace serviced in a while, it could be a sign that it’s due to a tune-up.
- Lack of Heat: If your furnace isn’t producing enough heat, it could be a sign of a malfunctioning blower motor or an issue with the fuel line.
If your furnace is showing any of the top 15 silent signs, it’s probably time to call an HVAC technician to come inspect and fix the problem. Don’t wait too long – the longer you wait, the higher the risk of an inconvenient and expensive repair. We all want to stay warm and cozy during the cold winter months, so don’t let your furnace be silent: take action now and get that furnace fixed!
Are you looking for a reliable furnace repair in Kentucky? Then look no further than Thompson Heating & Cooling. We understand the importance of having a properly functioning furnace. That’s why we offer a full range of services, from minor repairs to major overhauls. Our experienced technicians have the knowledge and expertise to handle all types of furnace repairs, and they use only the best quality parts and materials for all of their repairs. Let us make sure your furnace is always in top condition! Contact us today to get started!