Chances are, you wouldn’t even consider purchasing a home without an air conditioning or heating system. In today’s world of comfort and convenience, heating and cooling is just as necessary as indoor plumbing.
We all love being able to enjoy hot summer days in Louisville, KY with a cool breeze inside and returning to a warm home when it’s bitter cold outside. But are you struggling to satisfy everyone in your home with just the exact temperature? Tired of hearing that someone is too cold, while someone else is too hot? You can have total control over your home’s heating and cooling system with a ductless mini-split system.
We’re here to give you the facts about these systems and explain just why they may be the perfect fit for you and your family.
What is a Ductless HVAC System?
A ductless HVAC system, also called a mini-split system, or just mini-split for short is the equivalent of individual heaters and air conditioners in each room or space of your home. With a ductless mini-split system, each area has its own temperature control, independent of the rest of the building.
A ductless mini-split system is commonly used in apartment buildings, large homes, room additions or as a retrofit add-on to homes in Louisville, KY without ductwork. This can bring the comfort of air conditioning to a home that was built without a duct system. A ductless HVAC system is a great choice where extending or installing ductwork is too costly or not feasible.
How Does A Mini-Split AC Work?
A mini-split AC system in Louisville, KY includes the same basic components as a traditional central air conditioner unit; an indoor unit and an outdoor unit.
The indoor unit is placed in the room it is cooling. When it switches on, it starts blowing warm air from the room over cold evaporator coils. The refrigerant inside these coils absorbs the heat from the air and brings it to the outside unit leaving cool air to blow back into the space.
Multiple indoor units can connect to a single outdoor unit where the refrigerant dumps all the heat it pulled from your home’s air.
Benefits Of A Ductless System
In some situations, a ductless mini-split air conditioner may actually be a better choice than a traditional central AC unit. Here are just a few benefits of a ductless system:
- Installation: If you don’t have ductwork, trying to install a central HVAC system means you have to cut into every wall in your home. A ductless AC is so much easier to install and allows you to enjoy all the benefits without creating a construction site in your living room.
- Heating and Cooling: Fans cool and heaters heat, but a mini-split HVAC system can do both. Ductless mini-split systems can double as heat pumps, allowing them to be used all year long, during the heat of Louisville, KY summer and the freezing winter temps.
- Convenience: A ductless mini-split system is ideal for individual zoning of rooms or spaces. Each area of the home has a separate unit, and can be controlled separately, making it ideal for controlling the temperature of each part of the home separately. This is perfect for one person who is always cold and another who is consonantly hot or a room where many rooms aren’t used at all.
- Save Energy: Duct losses can account for more than 30 percent of AC energy consumption in Louisville, KY. Since mini-splits have no ducts, they avoid this substantial energy loss associated with ductwork of traditional central air systems.
Ideal Situations For Ductless Air Conditioning
A mini-split system isn’t just a “work around” or a “substitute” option. In many cases, it is the ideal choice in Louisville, KY. For example:
- You added an apartment above your garage – Any type of additional bonus room, sunroom, she-shed or man cave is ideal for a mini-split HVAC rather than installing a central air system. A ductless system can be properly sized for the new space and won’t steal air from other rooms or overload your old HVAC system.
- You are now an empty-nester – Heating and cooling a large empty home in Louisville, KY is a waste of energy and money. Sure, you can close the vents, but this isn’t a long-term fix. Closing the vents results in pressure imbalances and can lead to mold problems. The best solution is a ductless mini-split system in the areas of the home you live in leaving the rest of the home’s main thermostat to only run minimally.
- You’re constantly fighting over the thermostat – The baby is too cold while your spouse is too hot. It’s a tale as old as time. If the family is constantly fighting over the thermostat, or some have medical needs that require warm or cool spaces, a mini-split HVAC is the answer.
- Boost the attic or the basement – Basements are notoriously cold, while attics in Louisville, KY are stifling. A ductless mini-split system can give extra support to specific spaces that need a little extra help.
- You have an older home or cabin with no ductwork – Adding ductwork to an existing house is shockingly expensive. It’s basically a whole-home renovation. If you’re looking for an easy way to stay comfortable in an older home in Louisville, KY opt for a mini-split AC system instead.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ductless Mini-Split HVAC
Because a ductless mini-split system isn’t as common for some homeowners, there’s often a lot of questions swirling around. Here are some of the most common: